Saint Joseph’s Episcopal Church, aka “the little church with the big red doors”, is located on Main Street between Ninth and Iredell Streets in Durham, NC, across from Duke University’s East Campus. Our community life is rooted in the sacraments, daily prayer, study of the Scriptures, and fellowship with members, friends and neighbors inside and outside our walls. Following the example of our patron Saint Joseph, we want to make our church home a place of warm hospitality grounded in God’s love and to take that love out into the world.
We welcome all people to Saint Joseph’s Episcopal Church regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression. All persons are welcome wherever they are on their faith journey and life journey. To learn more, please visit our Welcome Statement.
Weekly Worship Schedule
We are sharing “bag” breakfast/lunch with coffee in the courtyard on Mon/Wed/Fri, 7:30 – 8:30 a.m. and “bag” lunch on Saturdays 11-12 a.m.
Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. Morning Prayer (via Zoom audio)
Monday – Friday 5:30 p.m. Evening Prayer (via Zoom audio)
Sundays 10:30 a.m. Holy Eucharist (via Zoom audio/video)
Sundays around 11:15 a.m. Virtual “coffee hour”
For Zoom or signup info, please contact: email@example.com
Online Giving: Please continue to support our ministry during this time when we cannot be together physically. The needs both within St. Joseph’s and in our community continue. CLICK HERE to make an online donation through the Episcopal Diocese of North Carolina, or you may mail a check to the church directly at 1902 W Main St, Durham, NC 27705. Thank you!
The Sixth Sunday of Easter
May 9, 2021
St. Joseph’s will be welcoming a new vicar in July. Check back for details!
Remember the 3-W’s: Let us all do our part by wearing face coverings, washing hands frequently and maintaining physical distance of at least 6 feet!
Coffee Hour: We will be holding Zoom coffee hour following our Sunday worship. This will be a time where folks can catch up on news and check in and see how we all are doing these days.
Announcements: If you have announcements, or want to place someone on our prayer list, please email Walter at firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday at noon. Thank you!
Incoming Duke Divinity Student seeking housing. Please contact Countess Authement @ (337) 853-3594 or email@example.com if you have or know of rental opportunities.
Volunteers needed for the following:
- Wednesday Evening Prayer leader (5:30 p.m. using Mission of St. Clare website). Please contact Jamie if you are interested in supporting this ministry.
- Altar Guild – please prayerfully consider serving on our altar guild. Taking care of our Lord’s altar is a special ministry. It’s not difficult but is essential for our experience as a community of worshipping inside our sanctuary and taking part in the Holy Eucharist. Please contact Deacon Monnie at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions and to volunteer. Thank you.
- Please consider volunteering for our morning breakfast/lunch ministry. Additional volunteers are needed, especially for Wednesday morning. Please contact Tony Johnson at email@example.com with questions and to volunteer.
Sunday Liturgists Sign-up: we invite you to join in leading our worship on Zoom Sundays during the 10:30 a.m. service, all our welcome to participate, you can sign up directly to read the scripture and prayers for upcoming Sundays at https://docs.google.com/document/d/12ix6OMQt5muScLpJEsrkCrqHc59K6sBp2D0XOsUCC4E/edit?usp=sharing or by emailing Cambria at firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Joseph’s and My Neighbor’s Ministry:
If you’d like to continue donating to these ministries, we need:
- Rain ponchos: these are lightweight and very helpful this time of year. Amazon carries them @ 20 for $24.99 (long sleeved please).
- small bottles of water
- gallon sized ziplock bags
- coffee cups with lids
- white T-Shirts in sizes L, XL, and XXL
- white socks in L and XL
- wash cloths to put in the hygiene bags
- Also for the hygiene bags: tooth brushes, toothpaste & soap
Please contact Tony Johnson at email@example.com if he needs to coordinate receipt of any items, with you. You can also contact Deacon Monnie if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.